Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Is Powerball All Powerful?

We are only hours away from finding out if anyone won the ridiculously massive Powerball jackpot.  Even those of us who don't play the lottery have been forced to pay attention to what's going on as the news reports about Powerball have been mounting up almost as much as the jackpot.  

While the news reports hype up the potential winnings on one hand, on the other hand they provide a truly sobering reality check regarding the odds of actually winning the jackpot. An NBC news story indicated that the odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are 1 in 175,223,510, "to be precise -- less than the odds of someone becoming president of the United States or being born with an extra finger or toe."

Well, those odds weren't so discouraging for President Obama--I wonder how the odds stacked up for him not only becoming President but the first African-American to become president--and my cousin grew up with a friend known as "E.T." which stood for "extra toe."

Maybe since I live on the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue, which is essentially the same street where our President and  Odds-Breaker-in-Chief lives, and since I know someone who knows someone with an extra toe, maybe my odds of winning are greater than average!

That's just the kind of hope that has fueled the Powerball jackpot, and as tempting as it is, I will continue to place my hope on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness. Sure, I'd love to have enough money to never have to worry about money, but the Holy Spirit reminds me that I already have unlimited resources because I am a child of the King.  I can recall story after story of how God allowed me to go places, meet people and obtain or do things that were far beyond my financial resources but well within God's purview since the earth is Lord's and the fullness thereof.  Plus, God's gifts add no sorrow. God's gifts provide sweet sleep.  God's gifts bring people together instead of driving them apart.

As many people have learned the hard way, money can buy a whole lot of things, but not everything and not the things that matter most like love, peace and joy. Time after time we have heard that many lottery winners' lives are far worse after winning than before.  Money doesn't solve problems, and too often it simply attracts problems or amplifies what's already lurking underneath.

Just imagine what our communities would be like if, instead of  expending money on gambling, those same individuals put those funds toward improving our schools and fighting hunger and homelessness.  Some may already give to charity, and some money from gambling supposedly makes its way toward communities and schools, but only after the majority has been used to provide profit and cover expenses.

What would life be like if we were all as committed to pooling our resources to provide  spiritual, emotional, economic and physical nourishment, things that are lacking in too many families today? Some of us refuse to see tithing as worship and severely underestimate the value of supporting the Church and those who feed our bodies and our souls.  Yet we will faithfully sow seed in the Powerball jackpot which could be viewed as a form of worship--of self and money.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not condemning those who have their fingers, eyes and toes (all 10 or more of them) crossed in hopes of winning today's jackpot.  I pray that someone will win who will do good for others and themselves with the winnings.  But I also pray that we will not be more committed Powerball than we are to God.  I pray that we will be just as willing to share with others about our hopes and prayers that we have submitted to God as we are to share about our "lucky number combinations," near wins and jackpot dreams. 

I pray that, regardless of all the hype, we will recognize that Powerball is not all powerful, for God is the only One who bears that title.

BNcouraged!

Rev. Karen

No comments: