Wednesday, September 12, 2012

If It Feels THIS Good Being Used....


OOPS!  Did I miss Wednesday's deadline?




R&B crooner Bill Withers was a prolific, award-winning singer and songwriter in the 1970s and 80's who wrote and recorded songs like "Lean on Me," "Lovely Day," "Ain't No Sunshine," and "Grandma's Hands" that continue to be played and re-recorded today. 

One of his hit songs was called "Use Me," a heartfelt declaration of his willingness to be used by the woman he loved. In the refrain of the song, he boldly declared, "I want to spread the news that if it feels this good getting used, Oh you just keep on using me until you use me up."

As I sit here typing this blog from the beach in sunny Outer Banks, North Carolina, I began to think about how good it feels being used by God to be a vessel of blessing to others.

My mom turned 70 on September 10, and in addition to the surprise party that my family and friends held for her, the Lord allowed me to bless her by bringing her with me to the beach.  She was already on a natural high from the surprise party-- which turned out to be the first birthday party she has ever had--and now she is simply soaring with joy at the beauty of God's creation here at the beach and the wonderful accommodations we have.

What does all of this have to do with being used?  Well, the Lord used one of His vessels to bless one of my dearest girlfriends to stay in a beach house for the week.  He then used her as a vessel of blessing by directing her to host me and several other friends at the beach house with her. From that blessing, God used me to bless my mom in ways I would never have been able to do, by directing me to invite her to the beach house as part of her birthday gift.

On top of that, not only is Mom having the time of her life, God is using her as a vessel of blessing as she has inspired all of the ladies here with her energy, joy and unhindered love of God.  It was especially touching to see her express herself so powerfully because less than a year ago she was critically ill and unable to care for herself or even stand up without assistance.  God has restored her to the point that she has gone far beyond simply standing up, she is kicking up--her heels and dancing with delight.  She even showed off a few moves that I had never seen her do!

My friends were so excited to have Mom join us this year and they have been spoiling her in honor of their own moms, some of whom have gone on to glory.  When we arrived, they treated us to a home cooked meal, including homemade dessert, placed lovely welcome gifts on our beds, and after dinner our beach host read a scripture in honor of Mom that truly made her feel welcomed and honored,

The righteous flourish like the palm tree and grow like a cedar in Lebanon. They are planted in the house of the LORD; they flourish in the courts of our God. They still bear fruit in old age; they are ever full of sap and green, to declare that the LORD is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him. (Psalm 92:12-15 English Standard Version ESV )

There are just so many vessels and so many blessings swirling all around here that my cup is overflowing, and I haven't even been here 24 hours yet!

None of this would have been possible had I or my friends not been willing to avail ourselves to be used by God to do what is honorable and right.  We could have decided to make this a "girls gone wild" week of activities that would have been totally unfitting for a 70-year-old woman and totally unfitting for us as women of God.  Thankfully, in our various walks with the Lord, we have each allowed God's Holy Spirit to lead us and guide us into all truth, so we understand that the real joys in life don't involve shame, blame or hangovers:

Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work. (2 Timothy 2:21 ESV)

I don't agree with Bill Withers' allowing a woman to use him or walk all over him.  However, when it comes to God, the one who loves me so much that He sent His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, to shed His blood for me that I might have life and have it more abundantly, I say it feels incredibly good being used! So Lord, please keep on using me until You say my time is up!

BNcouraged--and B A vessel!

Rev. Karen

No comments: