Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Riding Through the Storm

Not long ago, I shared with you how God has helped me to learn the power and joy of "singing in the rain." Well, little did I know that it was a lesson designed to prepare me for "riding through the storm."

If we think about it, most of our lessons in life are not an end unto themselves.  They are building blocks.  One lesson provides the foundation to support the next lesson, and so on. Think about it this way, God's system of education provides vital information for practical application to strengthen our preparation for supernatural elevation into our God-given destination!

Last week, God used a powerful storm that soaked almost the entire East Coast to vividly illustrate and demonstrate incredible lessons for me and several other women.  We had gathered at a beautiful beach house right on the water in the Outer Banks area of North Carolina expecting to have fun in the sun and lounge along the sandy shores.  But God...had other plans.

It rained heavily almost the entire trip, starting with my five-hour drive through blinding rain.  It rained the heaviest right when I started crossing the last bridge to my destination.  The rain was so blinding that I experienced a "white out," something I thought only occurred in snow.  The car in front of me "disappeared" into a white mist and the only thing I could see were the dotted lines on the pavement marking my lane.  I wanted so badly to stop, but there was no stopping, especially with a huge tractor trailer not far behind me.

All I could do is stay focused on the guide lines (!) that had been laid out to keep me in my lane.  I could only see a few at a time, but it was all I needed to make it to the other side!

I expected the storm to lift the next day, but God...had other plans.  Not only did the storm continue, it grew worse!  I checked the news and saw dreadful reports about the record-breaking storm and ensuing floods that wreaked havoc up and down the East Coast.  In spite of the reports, and in spite of our location right on the water, we experienced no flooding at all.

In fact, one by one, the Lord led me and each of my "beach buddies" to venture out in spite of the weather. We came face to face with waters that roared and foamed, yet we did not fear.  God only allowed the waters to reach a certain point on the beach, and then they were forced to return.  We saw God's incredible power and saving grace all at once.  At times God had us to stand firm in the face of the storm, other times, we were inspired to keep moving forward through the storm. Either way, we learned not to run from storms.  And, we also learned to appreciate the beauty in storm clouds and foamy waters, which all have their place in the majesty of God's creation. 

When it was time for me to drive home, guess what?  The storm had passed over!  God blessed me with a sun-filled, peaceful journey back, in contrast to the stressful, rain-soaked struggle I endured on the way down.  Instead of getting angry at the irony of seeing the sun only as I left the beach, I rejoiced in knowing that I learned to see and feel God's presence while riding through the storm.  A classic Yolanda Adams song says it best:

"While riding through the storm, Jesus holds me in His arms.  No, I'm not afraid of the stormy winds and the waves.  Though the tide becomes high, He holds me while I rise.  I found safety in the Master's arms, while riding through the storm...."

BNcouraged!

Rev. Karen

No comments: